Are you ready to embark on a delightful culinary adventure that combines the irresistible flavors of caramel and apples?
As a child, perhaps you didn’t rush to the kitchen when your mom called out from the kitchen to let you know that the oatmeal cookies were ready. But as you’ve grown and discovered the pleasures of baking, you’ve likely realized that there’s something truly special about crafting delicious goodies for others to enjoy. It’s an act of generosity that brings people together and creates lasting memories
Keep reading to find out just how special this caramel apple oatmeal cookie recipe is.
Grab more Fall Recipes below:
The Magic of Caramel and Apples in Fall
There’s something truly magical about the combination of melted caramel and apples, especially during the fall season. The crisp, slightly tart apples paired with the sweet, rich gooey caramel create a harmony of flavors that evoke the essence of autumn. It’s like a cozy sweater for your taste buds, a warm and comforting embrace on a chilly day.
As the leaves turn golden brown and the air becomes crisp, the allure of caramel apple treats becomes irresistible. Whether you’re indulging in a caramel apple at the local fair or savoring a slice of caramel apple pie at Thanksgiving, these flavors are a quintessential part of fall.
Read Thanksgiving themed blog posts below:
Now, let’s talk about oatmeal cookies. Admittedly, they might not have been your go-to treat as a kid. They often played second fiddle to classics like chocolate chip cookies or sugar cookies. However, as your palate has matured, you’ve likely come to appreciate the subtle joys of oatmeal cookies.
Oatmeal cookies have a unique charm. They’re not overly sweet but offer a delightful chewiness that’s hard to resist. They provide the perfect canvas for incorporating a wide range of flavors and textures. From raisins and nuts to chocolate chips and banana chips.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
Before we dive into the step-by-step guide, make sure you have the following ingredients at the ready:
- Kraft Caramel Bits: These delightful morsels will be melted to create a luscious caramel sauce, adding an extra layer of caramel goodness to your cookies.
- Vanilla extract: To add a hint of delightful vanilla flavor to your caramel apple oatmeal cookies, enhancing their overall taste and aroma.
- Brown sugar: For that perfect sweetness and chewy texture.
- Cookie dough: The base of your cookies, providing structure and that irresistible cookie goodness.
- Parchment paper: To keep your cookies from sticking to the baking sheets.
- Fresh apples: The star of the show, these will infuse your cookies with rich caramel flavors. Use tart Granny Smith apples for that wonderful apple flavor or a mix of both granny smith and honeycrisp like I did for this recipe.
- Large bowl: For mixing your cookie dough.
- Low speed mixer: On your stand mixer, to ensure your cookie dough is perfectly blended.
- Room temperature: Your ingredients should be at this ideal temperature for smooth mixing.
- Flour mixture: A blend of all-purpose flour and apple pie spice for that warm, comforting flavor.
- Dry ingredients: Baking powder, quick oats, and old-fashioned oats for texture and leavening.
- Airtight container: For storing your cookies once they’ve cooled.
- Wire rack: To cool your cookies to perfection.
The Step-By-Step Oatmeal Cookie Recipe:
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
- Start by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C). The perfect baking temperature is essential for achieving those golden brown cookies.
Step 2: Mix the Dry Ingredients
- In a medium bowl, whisk together your flour mixture, baking powder, and oats. The apple pie spice will add that extra touch of fall magic.
Step 3: Cream the Wet Ingredients
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine room-temperature butter, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on medium speed until it’s nice and creamy, which usually takes about 2-3 minutes.
Step 4: Add the Apples and Kraft Caramel Bits
- Toss in the diced fresh apples and Kraft Caramel Bits. These caramel bits will melt in the oven, creating pockets of caramel goodness within your cookies. Mix until everything is well combined.
Step 5: Combine Dry and Wet Mixtures
- Slowly add your dry mixture to the wet mixture, mixing on low speed. It’s essential to incorporate these gradually to ensure an even distribution of the dry ingredients. Keep mixing until everything is thoroughly combined, forming a heavenly cookie dough.
Step 6: Scoop and Bake
- Use a tablespoon cookie scoop or your trusty hands to drop dough onto your prepared baking sheets, lined with parchment paper. Leave enough space between each cookie, as they will spread out during baking.
Step 7: Bake to Perfection
- Slide your baking sheets into the preheated oven and let those chewy oatmeal cookies bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until they’re golden brown around the edges. This is the moment when your kitchen fills with the warm, inviting aroma of freshly baked cookies.
Step 8: Melt the Kraft Caramel Bits for Caramel Sauce
- While your cookies are baking, it’s time to prepare the caramel sauce. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt Kraft Caramel Bits until they achieve a sauce-like consistency. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
Step 9: Cool and Drizzle with Caramel Sauce
- Once your cookies are done, remove them from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to cool. As they cool, drizzle the melted Kraft Caramel Bits sauce over the top of each cookie, allowing the caramel to cascade down the sides.
Step 10: Store for Later
- If you somehow manage not to devour them all in one go (which can be quite a challenge!), store these delectable cookies in an airtight container. This will keep them fresh and delicious for the next day, although it’s no guarantee that they’ll last that long!
Tips for the Perfect Caramel Apple Oatmeal Cookies with Kraft Caramel Bits
Now that you’ve got the basic recipe down, here are some additional tips to ensure your cookies turn out perfect every time:
- Mixing Techniques: While a stand mixer with a paddle attachment makes the process smoother, you can achieve excellent results by using a hand mixer or even mixing by hand with a sturdy wooden spoon.
- Caramel Sauce Consistency: When melting Kraft Caramel Bits for the sauce, aim for a smooth, pourable consistency. If it becomes too thick, you can add a splash of milk to thin it out.
- Perfecting Texture: If you prefer chewy cookies, aim to slightly underbake them. Remove the cookies from the oven when they’re just turning golden brown around the edges. They will continue to set as they cool, resulting in that ideal chewiness.
- Embrace Variations: While this recipe is a fall masterpiece, don’t hesitate to experiment year-round. You can switch out the diced apples for other fruits like pears or even add a pinch of sea salt to enhance the caramel flavor.
- Cookie Size Matters?: The tablespoon cookie scoop mentioned in the recipe yields cookies of a perfect size, but feel free to experiment with larger or smaller portions to suit your personal preference.