Coconut yogurt is a dairy-free alternative that has sparked debate among consumers and health experts alike. While it may not be as high in protein, fortified coconut products contain similar micronutrients to their traditional dairy yogurt counterparts – such as calcium – giving this unique food source a nutritional edge over other plant-based options.
Let’s take an in-depth look at how the health benefits of coconut yogurt measure up!
Is coconut yogurt high in fat?
Yes, coconut yogurt is relatively high in fat compared to traditional dairy yogurt. Most coconut yogurts contain around 6 grams of healthy fat per 100g serving, so if you are watching your total fat consumption, coconut yogurt may not be the best choice for you.
What vitamins are in coconut yogurt?
Coconut yogurt contains essential vitamins such as A, B12, and E. Additionally, coconut yogurt can provide magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, and zinc – all important minerals for optimal health maintenance.
Does coconut yogurt have protein?
Coconut yogurt does not contain as much protein as traditional dairy yogurt, but it can be a good source of protein for those on a plant-based diet.
Check out this article on best plant based yogurts
7 Best Plant-Based Yogurt I’ve Tried and Continue to Buy
A Closer Look at Coconut Yogurt Benefits
1. Coconut yogurt is a good source of healthy fats – coconut oil, in particular, contains medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) known to improve your digestive system which also boosts your immune system. Just think of coconut yogurt as a delicious way to keep your body functioning optimally.
2. Opting for unsweetened yogurt with this probiotic-rich food has a low glycemic index which helps regulate blood sugar levels and can reduce the risk of developing diabetes.
3. Coconut yogurt also provides essential vitamins such as B12, D, and E – offering many of the same health benefits that traditional dairy yogurt delivers. Dairy products can be difficult to digest, so this a great alternative for those who have digestive issues or are lactose intolerant.
4. Unlike some other plant-based milks, coconut yogurt can provide more than just calcium: it also packs magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and zinc – all important minerals for optimal health maintenance. The live cultures found in coconut yogurt can help increase the absorption of minerals, such as calcium, zinc and magnesium – all important for strong bones.
5. As coconut yogurt contains probiotics, the good bacteria can help balance the gut microbiome while aiding digestion and decreasing inflammation levels in the body. Besides promoting gut health, it’s a great additionto your smoothie bowls throughout the week because it adds a delicious, creamy texture while providing helpful probiotics and other nutritional benefits.
Check out this article on plant based milk:
Best Plant-Based Milk for Cereal I’m Obsessed With
6. It’s also a great source of fiber – essential for digestive health – which helps promote regular bowel movements and reduce constipation symptoms. If you’re a fan of Siggis or SoDelicious products whose yogurt line has clean ingredients, you’ll receive 2 grams of fiber per serving.
7. Studies have shown coconut yogurt may help reduce cholesterol levels by lowering “bad” LDL cholesterol thanks to its high-fat content combined with its MCFA profile – a win-win!
8. Regarding plant-based products like coconut yogurt, rest assured that its creamy, coconut-y flavor sets it apart from traditional dairy yogurt or other plant-based options like almond milk-based yogurt, making it an ideal and tasty alternative for those looking to add variety to their diet.
9. Coconut yogurt and vitamin B specifically, have been found to be especially beneficial in supporting skin health. Together with this vitamin B nutrient, coconut yogurt also contains a variety of other vitamins and minerals that can help with the production of collagen, reduce inflammation, protect skin from sun damage and hydrate your complexion.
10. It’s also packed with natural sugar that helps to fuel your body, so you won’t crash mid-day. And, it’s low in sodium and rich in healthy fats which can help to keep you feeling full and energized throughout the day. Opt for unsweetened yogurt, to keep added sugar to a minimum.
11. The daily value of coconut milk is also very high due to its natural fat, sugar, and nutrient content. Coconut milk can be a beneficial addition to any diet if consumed in moderation. It is an excellent source of energy for those who need it and can help maintain hydration.
12. The antibacterial properties of coconut milk, combined with its mild flavor, make it a great addition to many dishes. It can be used in Thai curries and soups, added to tacos to as an alternative to sour cream or used as a dairy-free alternative for baking.
13. Unlike other dairy-free alternatives, coconut yogurt’s fermentation process gives it a unique creamy texture and flavor profile. Plus, it’s packed with all the good stuff like healthy bacteria that promote a healthy gut.
14. One of the good things about making homemade yogurt, coconut themed, is that you can easily tailor the flavor to your own taste. For example, if you want to make a very sweet yogurt, you could add more honey or agave nectar. If you like it flavored, then add in some vanilla flavor or other natural flavors.
15. Unsweeted coconut. yogurt is lower in sugar than other yogurts, so it’s a great alternative to sugary snacks. You can mix it with fresh fruit or granola for an extra-nutritious snack.
Our Top Pick: Dairy Free Yogurt
When it comes to coconut yogurt benefits, there’s no doubt this superfood packs a nutritional punch! So next time you’re in the grocery store aisle debating between coconut or traditional yogurt, why not give coconut yogurt a try? You may be surprised at the health benefits – and delicious taste – this unique food source can offer.
Sold at popular grocery stores like Whole Foods, coconut yogurt can be easily discovered and enjoyed. Coconut yogurt is a vegan-friendly food product that adds plenty of flavor to your meals. With a creamy texture and natural sweetness, coconut yogurt can be enjoyed as a snack or used to top off your dishes.