Are you a black woman struggling in a toxic work environment? You are not alone, it’s Mental Health Awareness month and we’re overdue for talking about this very topic. If you are a black woman, then you know that working in a toxic work environment can be extremely challenging.
You may feel like you are constantly fighting against discrimination and microaggressions. You may feel like you have to work twice as hard just to be taken seriously. And sometimes it feels like there is no end in sight.
In every corporate job I held, I faced microaggressions and mistreatment and many Black women share similar sentiments. I was treated as if my life outside of the workplace affected my performance at my job, and if my colleague was out, I was expected to do their work plus mine without complaints.
Don’t let get me started on the number of write-ups I’ve received that were made up of complaints against me.
Both scream “toxic work environment!” Talk about healing from burnout.
But we want you to know that you are not alone. We want you to know that there is power in your daily affirmations. In this blog post, we will share some powerful daily affirmations for black women who are struggling in toxic work environments as a minority.
Black Women Affirmations Who Are Being Marginalized At Work
1. When people make the effort to make me feel unimportant, I know it has everything to do with them and nothing to do with me.
2. This is my situation right now and I’m doing the best that I can.
3. I work hard and I deserve to be valued for the contributions I make.
4. My everyday work experience is not in my head and I will not take responsibility for making the people around me comfortable.
5. This is my situation right now and I’m doing the best that I can but when faced with injustice, I will not be afraid to stand up and speak out.
6. My gifts are not insignificant because if they were then I would not have been chosen for this position.
7. I am not going to allow the negativity of this place to consume me.
Morning Affirmations For Women To Say Before Work
8. Any negative interactions today have everything to do with the other person and nothing to do with me.
9. I will not allow myself to be used as a sounding board for someone’s racist, sexist, or classist jokes.
10. I will call out any and all forms of discrimination that I witness.
11. My current situation is not my final destination.
12. The skills I am learning from this job are ones I can take with me to my next job opportunity.
13. I am a great employee and proficient at what I do.
14. This toxic work environment is not going to break me or make me give up.
Self Advocacy Quotes
15. I will not rush my lunch break, no matter what chaos is going on in my office.
16. Befriending a co-worker that looks like me is my form of self-care.
17. My mental health and wellness are a priority to me and I will not allow anyone to make me feel guilty for taking care of myself.
18. My PTO is none of your business and I will not justify why I am or am not using it.
19. Sacrificing my mental and physical health is not going to happen when choosing between me and my job.
20. If I am the only person of color in my office, that does not make me the diversity officer.
21. I refuse to be described as the “angry black woman” for being direct and assertive.
22. My work is not going to suffer if I need to take a mental health day.
Positive Affirmations for Black Women in A Toxic Female Workspace
23. My voice is just as valid as any other white counterpart or leader who held this position before me.
24. I’m not here to make white women feel comfortable or prove that I’m not the “angry black woman“.
25. I will not let this toxic work environment turn me into someone I’m not.
26. Removing myself from people that do not serve me is not a sign of weakness.
27. I may work with them but I don’t have to be friends with them.
28. I do not need to explain or justify my training and experience to anyone.
29. While in this leadership role, I will work hard and be the best that I can be but if this job is not a good fit, I will leave.
30. It’s okay if the only accomplishment I make is teaching people how to treat me.
Positive Affirmations For Women In Toxic Environments
It’s important to remember that you are not alone in feeling like the only person of color in a toxic work environment. There are daily affirmations and strategies you can use to combat the negative effects of microaggressions, gaslighting, and discrimination.
Remember to take care of yourself first and foremost, and to reach out to co-workers who look like you for support. You are valuable, and your efforts at work matter.
Use these daily affirmations for black women in toxic work environments to help remind you of what you can control and focus on your goals despite the challenges you face.
I’d love to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment below or email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also connect with me on Instagram.