Bad days are an inevitable part of life. No one is immune to them. Sometimes, they come out of nowhere and knock us off our feet. Other times, they are a never-ending cycle we can’t break free from on bad mental health days.
If you are struggling and the last thing you want to do is get out of bed, here are 30 self-care ideas to help you get through a rough day. So take some deep breaths because these ideas will help you when you’re feeling inconsolable.
*Some affiliate links are used, which means, that if you purchased something, we may earn a commission.*
Read more self-care ideas posts on the blog:
What are some fun self-care activities?
Ones that produce the endorphins in your body during those tough days. To make a tough day more bearable, it’s crucial that you’ve developed self-care habits that keep you feeling your best.
The best way to address the bad week you’re experiencing is to do small things before you start to feel overwhelmed. The important part to take in about self-care is that it’s a lifestyle. It’s not an emergency response.
List of self care ideas for those bad days
1.Go to a local bookstore and wander around until your eyes land on a good book.
2. Talk to a friend or family member who has struggled with mental illness and self-care, drawing inspiration from their experiences.
3. Go on your favorite social media app and listen to motivational videos, affirmations, or reels from your favorite content creator.
4. Watch a feel-good movie or your favorite show on a streaming app that makes you laugh.
5. Open up your favorite movement app and schedule a time to go on a long walk while getting some fresh air.
6. Plan to eat your favorite food for dinner each day of the week.
7. Listen to your favorite songs or self-love playlists that remind you of memories or times when you’ve felt strong, confident, and empowered.
8. Give your body the best medicine by taking an online yoga class to decompress and relax your mind and body.
9. Say 3 positive things about yourself every hour of the day.
10. For an emotional release, place acupressure ear seeds behind your ears and massage them.
Best self-care ideas for when you’re dreading work
11. Leave 4 affirmation notes in the areas you get ready for work in the morning.
12. Open up a self-care app and listen to guided meditation and self-care suggestions.
13. To reinforce having a good day, call a trusted friend during your commute to work.
14. Take a quick shower and listen to a meditation podcast for five minutes to reset your mind and body as part of your daily routine.
15. If you’re hitting a rough patch at work, use earplugs to reduce the stimulation in your environment.
16. Come into work an hour earlier so you can leave earlier than your usual shift.
17. A great way to set yourself up is to create a top 5 to-do list. Once you’ve completed this list, take a break, and reward yourself with something that you find positively reinforcing.
18. Before leaving for work, set aside essential oils, a face mask, or one of your favorite books, so you have something to look forward to once you’re back home.
19. During your lunch break, go to your car and color a page out of an adult coloring book to break up some of the tension you’re experiencing.
20. Have your partner run you a self-care hot bath or a hot shower to avoid coming home and going straight into work mode
List of self-care ideas for Monday blues
23. Recharge your batteries by getting plenty of rest the night before and turning on soothing sounds on your tv or Bluetooth to promote an easeful sleep.
24. To help put yourself in a good mood, get your body moving in the morning. Play some music off your bluetooth speaker and listen to music that uplifts you.
25. A good way to get yourself out of the funk is to play a song on repeat that you resonate with and puts you in a happier mood.
26. To help mitigate those negative feelings, frame affirmations on a wall in your house that you use when experiencing tough times and vice versa.
27. Watch ASMR videos to help you relax and to receive some extra sensory input you may need that day.
28. Flip through your gratitude or self-love journal to remember the things you are thankful for throughout your day.
29. Listen to a soothing voice, whether it be through music, audiobooks, or self-help audible books.
30. Try some funny self-care ideas to add playfulness to your day, like watching hilarious food reviews or giving your plants names like their children.