With Mother’s Day and Autism Awareness Month coming up, I wanted to dedicate a list of mother’s day affirmations to a special group of women that I often feel gets left out of the conversation.
A Mom of a Special Needs child is a different type of breed. They are strong, passionate, and oftentimes misunderstood. I know this because I’ve worked side by side with them as a clinician for over 12 years.
Serving in the special needs community, you get to experience similar up and down emotions that special needs parents go through. You feel their joy when their child learns a new skill or hits a developmental milestone. You also feel their pain and exhaustion when they face yet another roadblock or challenge.
Special needs moms are constantly fighting an uphill battle; whether it’s for early intervention services, an IEP at school, ABA therapy services, or medical care and support.
They are oftentimes the only voice their child has and they have to learn to be assertive in order to get their child the help they need. Many special needs moms can agree they are oftentimes met with resistance, judgment, and cynicism.
But through it all, these moms continue to fight for their children. They never give up and they never give in. They are an inspiration to all of us.
So this Mother’s Day, I want to salute all the special needs moms out there! Here are some eye-opening affirmations that every mama will be able to sympathize with.
Encouraging Mother Of Special Needs Quotes
1. I am a powerful advocate for my child and I will never stop fighting for what they need.
2. I am grateful for my child’s unique qualities and I love them just the way they are.
3. I am doing my best and that is good enough. All progress should be celebrated, even if it is slow.
4. No two days are the same but this child is worth every bit of the hard work I put in.
5. It is not worth my time or energy to compare my child’s progress to someone else’s. Every child is different and develops at their own pace.
6. I am strong, capable, and resilient- and so is my child. We will never give up!
7. I am grateful for my child’s progress, even if it is small because it means they are getting closer to their full potential.
Words Of Affirmation During Hard Times
1. I will never give up on my child and they can always count on me for support.
2. If no one else tells me one good thing today, it’s okay because I am doing an amazing job as a special needs mom.
3. I am not alone in this journey, there are others fighting right along with me.
4. I am an amazing mother and my child is lucky to have me.
5. My child is worth every bit of the hard work I put in and our progress from just a week ago is worth celebrating.
6. I will not compare my non-verbal child to a typically developing child because they are two completely different people.
7. Just because my child isn’t speaking yet doesn’t mean they aren’t intelligent- they are just communicating in a different way.
Affirmations For Special Needs Mom Burnout
1. If doing just a little thing each day lifts my spirit, I will do that one ‘little thing’ more and more.
2. I will seek rest even when I feel like I can keep going. I’m a special needs mom that needs to take care of myself in order to best take care of my child.
3. I’m still a good mom even if I don’t get everything done today.
4. I don’t owe anyone an explanation for taking care of my specific needs. My special needs matter too.
5. I deserve to have my individual needs met without question. I will not feel guilty for arranging for someone else to go pick up my child from therapy.
6. I’m a super mama. I am doing more than most do by 8 am.
7. Ensuring that my needs are met is just as important as ensuring that my child’s needs are met.
What To Say To Special Needs Parents?
For those reading this, learning about the hardships of special needs parents may be eye-opening. It is often said that it takes a village to raise a child, but for special needs parents, it seems to take an army.
Special needs parents are warriors who never give up on their children. They are constantly fighting for their children’s rights and progress.
If you know a special needs parent, don’t hesitate to tell them how much of an inspiration they are to you. When special needs parents are opening up to you, the best thing you can say to them is that you are their listening ear and that you are open to learning more about their experiences. Comments like these can make a huge difference in the life of a special needs parent.
Another idea is to offer to help them with anything that they may need during the week. A case in point, an offer to pick up their child from therapy, do a grocery run, cook some delicious food for the family, or buy a self-care item for the mom.
Family Affirmations For Special Needs Mom’s
Parenting a child with special needs requires strength, tenacity, and resourcefulness.
Special needs parents need just as much support as the child does so remember to be there for them when they need you.
Showing your support in little ways can make a big difference in their lives. Let them know that you are always willing to listen and learn about their experiences.
As always, thank you for reading, and please feel free to share this with a special needs mom that you know.
Related Blog Posts On Affirmations
Affirmations For Black Women By Black Women
Powerful Affirmations For Black Women